Monday, March 31, 2008

Arabella's Finally Here.....

She's here .... and now I've finally got a few minutes to post something (I know you're all dying to read this)....

Arabella arrived after a grueling experience in the hospital. Matthew and I went in Wednesday night as planned to administer a medication to help me along with dilation. The doctors broke my water early Thursday morning to start the labor process and I did start dilation a bit but unfortunatly all my contracts were in my back and I couldn't take the pain. It was worse than anything I've experienced so I opted for an early epidural.....

After getting the wonderful drugs to which I felt NOTHING (thankfully).... I unfortunatly didn't dilate any more and by 8pm my doctor opted for a C-Section (not my first choice.... but at that point I didn't care anymore). By the time they made the decision the epidural was wearing off and I felt EVERYTHING.... at that point I didn't care what they did as long as they made the pain go away!

Arabella was born at 9:20. Matthew was with me... he never left my side. Sadly, I didn't really get to spend any time with her until almost 11:30pm because of the recovery after the surgery. I did get to see her briefly in the OR after she was born though.

Thursday was the longest wait of my life, but it was worth it. Matthew and I are so happy to finally have our daughter. She looks so much like Matthew and me... it's crazy. She was lucky enough to have all the Martin traits - Matthew's Hair, a strawberry birthmark on her neck, his chin and of course the dimples on her butt. She did get some of my features too.... but it seems phyiscally more of Matthews... and that's ok. I'd rather her get my personality... and interests... so I guess as she grows we'll see what she's like.

I came home from the hospital yesterday so we've been home now for two days. It's been crazy since then. She's a good sleeper.... she sleeps for hours on end. We were worried at first because we couldn't get her to eat because we'd have to wake her up but the doctor said it was fine. She'll tell us when she wants to eat.

She has her first doctor appointment tomorrow morning. The doctors saw her at the hospital and said she's doing great. I have my staples out on Friday (man I can't wait) and hopefully then I'll be able to really function around the house.

I've had to rely a lot on Matthew for the time because I can't do a lot (much like pregnancy). I can't get up or sit down while holding her because I have to brace myself from the staples and I can't bend over. Other than those two things though, I can function rather well and each day is getting better and better.

Enjoy the photos. I keep posting more and more as we take them and I have a moment. Parenting hasn't been so bad so far.. she's mostly slept through the day so I'm sure as she wakes more and more things will become more and more hectic. Ah, such is life.

No comments: